Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Spontaneous photo opportunities

Common Cormorant

Eastern Kingbird with bug
Went to the park yesterday afternoon to take pictures of a cormorant that I had spotted moments earlier.  These diving birds don't often visit Bassett Creek's shallow pond.

Next I noticed a Eastern Kingbird perched overhead in a tree with a large insect (possibly a dragonfly) in its beak that it was attempting to eat before it escaped.

Dragonfly
After getting a quick shot of the kingbird I soon discovered a cool looking a dragonfly by water's edge.

A couple of American Osprey flew by on an unsuccessful fishing mission (already pictured in yesterday's post).

Monarch on Swamp Milkweed
Goldfinch
While watching for the Osprey I noticed Monarch Butterflies visiting the Swamp Milkweed by water's edge.

Then before I could put my camera away Goldfinches appeared.

Quite a photographic smorgasbord!



No comments:

Post a Comment