With the way politics operates in the USA he noted we need to have a collective conversation about civility. There is a project that was begun in Duluth Minnesota years ago called "Speak your peace: The civility project".
They recommend we all utilize the following skills to enhance our civil engagement:
- Pay attention. Be aware and attend to the people around you.
- Listen. Focus on others in order to better understand their points of view.
- Be inclusive. Welcome all groups of citizens working for the greater good of the community.
- Don't gossip. And don't accept when others choose to do so.
- Show respect. Honor other people and their opinions, especially in the midst of disagreement.
- Be agreeable. Look for opportunities to agree. Don't contradict just to do so.
- Apologize. Be sincere and repair damaged relationships
- Give Constructive Criticism. When disagreeing stick to the issues and don't make a personal attack.
- Take responsibility. Don't shift responsibility and blame onto others; share disagreements publicly.