|Bill Russell recipient of Medal of Freedom, |
pictured at 2007 Angel of Mentoring Awards
I would like to suggest that real heroes aren't just past presidents, professional athletes or well read poets. The folks that I would like to see honored are those who haven't already received great acclaim for their contributions. For example...
- A classroom teacher who is able to affirm all of the children in the classroom and stimulates their interest in lifelong learning.
- A music teacher that daily helps kids get started in learning and playing music, despite the painful sounds made by the young musicians
- A volunteer coach who takes time out of his busy family and work schedule to help young kids, most of whom may never make a varsity level team, get a chance to learn and play a sport
- A small town mayor who works diligently to listen to constituents in order to enhance the quality of life for all in the community
- A stay at home mom or dad that sacrifices the financial and social rewards of paid employment for their child's long-term benefit.