An article in the StarTribune "Report calls schools key to fighting obesity epidemic but says changes are needed society-wide." suggests that schools are an important place to fight obesity. Following are some recommendations for consideration:
- 60 minutes of physical activity every day for school children via gym class, recess and other activities
- Healthier school foods and teaching of nutrition
- Require restaurants to produce at least half o the kids' meals to comply with federal dietary guidelines
- Restrict marketing of unhealthy foods and beverages to children
- Provide more opportunities for physical activity within communities for walking, biking, etc.
- Health care providers increase screening for obesity and provide preventative services and treatments.
- Employers provide more wellness program.