Friday, May 18, 2012

Bike lanes

I submitted the following to our local newspaper for their consideration.

A couple of residents raised concerns in the last SunPost about the addition of bicycle lanes to area roads. As an avid biker, health advocate and environmentalist, I too am concerned about the bicycle lanes, mainly that they’re not being used nearly enough.  These lanes make biking considerably more safe and enjoyable than trying to cycle and fight traffic while battling the gravel and trash that accumulates along the roadside.

However, people should beware of the many impacts biking has, should they want to give it a try.  Having become more actively in biking these past couple of years I’ve discovered the following side affects:
  • Calories are burned, rather than fossil fuels, so both my weight and transportation costs go down
  • Creativity spikes when actively peddling
  • Drops in blood pressure and pulse rate, with an increase in fitness level
  • Road rage is non-existent; I actually smile at other bikers and pedestrians
  • Mood elevates as I breath fresh air, hear birds and notice scenery
  • I feel like I’m “being the change” that I want to see in the world 

I would encourage readers to dust off those old Schwinn’s they have collecting dust in the garage and hit the road.  You might start with a ride around the block. With a rack and saddlebag/backpack I’ve discovered I can easily bike to the library, grocery store, meetings, church, bank and even to the dentist office.

I hope to see you enjoying the bike lane next time I’m out riding. Happy trails!

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely the right idea. I started riding more last spring, and kept on through the winter since it was so mild this year. I've never felt better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear of your similar experience Chris. Ride on!

    ReplyDelete