Thursday, June 16, 2011

Watching for the light through the dark clouds

Light in eastern horizon
Clouds to the west
I ran to the post office yesterday to mail a few cards before the last pick-up at 5 pm.  As I was running to drop off these cards I noticed storm clouds on the horizon.  They were becoming increasingly dark and it appeared rain would be imminent.  I was, however, determined to get the cards into the mail box before they got wet, and by the 5:00 deadline.

The approaching dark clouds and deadline kept me moving. They also raised my state of anxiety.

Coming home it was a vastly different experience.  I knew that those storm clouds were still there, however now they were at my back and facing east I could see some glimpses of blue sky and white clouds mixed in with the gray sky overhead.   I arrived home just moments before the rain.

Isn't it nice to have at least a little blue sky to notice during the day, despite a storm a comin'? Deadlines can also be helpful to provide the pressure to get things done in a timely manner.  I think we also need to see periods of light in our day to keep us encouraged and avoid being overwhelmed and burned out by the many challenges we are faced with individually and collectively.  Lastly, what a wonderful thing it is to have a secure shelter to go to during a stormy period.

What are things/people that bring light to your day? What are your physical/spiritual shelters where you can find safety and comfort during stormy times?

No comments:

Post a Comment