Monday, January 10, 2011

Savoring beef stroganoff with veggies

Beef stroganoff
Seems I've been a bit remiss in exploring the world of food in this blog. After all, with a blog title of "Savoring Servant" shouldn't the discussion of food be somewhat prevalent? Following a scrumptious meal of beef stroganoff last night, it seemed today might be a good time to add food to my blogging diet.

As the baker in our household, I'm known to closely follow recipes. My wife, however, being a great cook, reminds me that recipes are simply guidelines. Thankfully, I was open to following her suggestions, as I tried my hand at making a modified version of beef stroganoff recipe (less sour cream and beef with more veggies).

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds of beef (I used boneless chuck roast)
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups beef bouillon
4 tablespoons catsup
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons salt
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
2 medium onions, chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 cup cabbage, chopped
8-10 cherry tomatoes
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup dairy sour cream
6-8 cups hot cooked noodles (I like wide egg noodles)

Cut beef into strips 1 1/2" by 1/2".  Then cook and stir beef in 2 tablespoons butter in a large 12-14"" skillet over low heat until brown. Reserve 2/3 cup of the bouillon. Stir remaining bouillon, the catsup, garlic and salt into the skillet. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beef is tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Stir in mushrooms, onion, celery, carrots, and cabbage. Cover and simmer until onion is tender, about 5-10 minutes. Whisk remaining bouillon and the flour, then stir gradually into beef mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minute; reduce heat. Stir in sour cream; heat through.

Serve over cooked hot noodles.

Approximately 6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment