Sunday, November 18, 2012

Free market capitalism

A guest on the Bill Moyers' show, Naomi Klein, helped me to understand why some people refuse to believe in climate change; it would require collective action, which is anathema to their belief in free market capitalism.  I would encourage all to take a half of an hour to watch the show, "Naomi Klein on Capitalism and Climate Change".

Given the damaging impact of CO2 on the environment she recommends disinvestment in oil companies, calling them rogue entities. They have enough oil in storage to raise the world temperature over 2 degrees Celsius, which would be catastrophic for the environment.

If you are concerned about this issue you might consider taking the Climate Reality Pledge

I pledge my name in support of a better tomorrow, one fueled by clean energy. I demand action from the world’s leaders to work toward developing clean energy solutions. I pledge to demand action from our leaders. And I pledge to share this global promise. By uniting our voices, we have the power to change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment