Friday, September 17, 2010

Suffering from monkey mind?

Canada Geese in flight
I chuckled when I read an article this morning on a seminar held last August here in the Twin Cities on Mindful Leadership.  One of the presenters, Yongey Mingur Rinpoche, spoke about "monkey mind", which originates from the Chinese term xinyuan.  This caught my attention as I've often felt more distracted than I would care to admit.  I've had my own western definition of this restless state of attention, "puppy mind".  In a world filled with more distractions than ever before the idea of taking regular time out for prayer, meditation or "mindfulness" makes a lot of sense.

"More than those who hate you, more than all your enemies, an undisciplined mind does greater harm." Buddha

Picured above are a few Canada Geese.  They are gathering in large numbers overnight in he pond.  During the day they fly off for feeding elsewhere.

Pictured below is a Great Blue Heron.  I was surprised to see what a different looking bird it was when it tucked its neck in, seems a bit like an average blue herron.  I guess it helps to stick your neck out if you want to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment