Tuesday, September 7, 2010

State Fair and keeping the life balance

I had a "letter of the day" in the Star Tribune yesterday, which follows.  I must confess that I didn't get to the fair this year, but did get to go kayaking around the Apostle Islands :-)  I'm thinking next year will likely be our family outing to the state fair; cheese curds, fried onion blossom, chocolate malt and all!

State Fair's great, but don't neglect BWCA

Given the huge number of calories accumulated from eating the food, and the massive crowds and loud noises from the State Fair, I would recommend an antidote: For every day at the fair, one week canoeing in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, or a week hiking the Kekekabic Trail, or biking across the state, or perhaps kayaking around Lake Superior's Apostle Islands. The State Fair is great, but for our physical and mental health it can be even better for us if balanced by some nourishing time away.

No comments:

Post a Comment