|Just say NO to soda|
I quit drinking pop last spring. Just felt like I didn't need sugar water spiked with caffeine in my diet any more. As we continue to hear about the obesity epidemic in America I am becoming an advocate for education on the harmful effects of soda. It grieves me to see so many of our kids, and adults, starting the day with a soft drink.
What's so bad about soda? Here are 15 reasons provided by eMedExpert
- Soda is useless (its just sugar water)
- Leads to weight gain and obesity
- Increases the risk of diabetes
- Weakens bones and increases risk of osteoporosis
- Decays teeth though destroying tooth enamel
- Increases kidney problems
- Increases blood pressure
- Likely to cause heart burn
- Risk factor for Metabolic Syndrome
- Harmful effects on liver
- Impaired digestive system (strongly acidic)
- Increases dehydration
- High caffeine content
- Toxins in diet pop (aspartame has over 92 side effects)
- Possible ability to damage cells
Possible action steps for you to consider.
- If you're a current pop drinker, quit today. It really isn't all that painful.
- Substitute water, tea or juice for pop. But please don't buy prepackaged water in the plastic containers. Use your own bottles/glasses. Water tastes much better from a glass ;-)
- If you are concerned about the health of your friends/family share the reasons noted above with them and encourage them to consider alternatives to drinking soda.