Monday, September 10, 2012
What kind of capitalist would Jesus be?
It seems almost mandatory for political candidates running for a national office here in the US to declare their identity as Christians, of one sort or another. It was scandalous for some to suggest President Obama might actually be a Muslim.
All of this Bible banging by politicians has caused me to wonder about how Jesus became associated with capitalism. Consider some Biblical teachings…
· If you have a spare coat, give it away! (Luke 3:11)
· Don’t store up treasures on earth (Matthew 6:19)
· Give unto Caesar what is Caesar’s (Mark 12:17)
· Don’ t charge interest (Deuteronomy 23::19-20)
· Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth (Matthew 5:5)
· Whatever to do to the least of these, you do unto me (Matthew 25:40)
As the “great healer”, (Matthew 9: 12–13) I also wonder what Jesus would think of the world’s wealthiest nation that doesn’t provide universal health care?
What kind of capitalist would Jesus be? Not a very good one it seems...