Sunday, August 19, 2012

Vegetables, hooray!

Garlic seed pod
After preparing the soil, planting, weeding, watering, picking off dozens of Japanese Beetles, and lots more weeding, the harvest comes.  Earlier in the summer we enjoyed snap peas, swiss charred, kohlrabi, lettuce, chives and kale.  Now we're harvesting zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage, green beans and more kale.  Soon to come are garlic, carrots and beets.  I'm hoping that our late blooming egg plant and broccoli will mature before the end of the growing season.

Cabbage
We've endured a few visits to the garden by rabbits and one guest appearance by a deer. I've since tightened up the wire spacing in the garden fence where the rabbits squeezed through.  I'm hoping the deer visits will be few and far between.  Our 36" tall garden fence is no match for a motivated deer.
Blossoming Egg Plant

2 comments:

  1. Your vegetables look really good, Dan. I had to put up dog kennel fencing to keep the deer out of my garden. Extra fencing on the bottom has kept the woodchuck out too. My main "crop" this year should be raspberries, which are outside the fence and don't interest the deer or woodchuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave. Sorry to hear that you've had garden invaders. I must confess to thinking it would be sure a lot easier to buying veggies in large quantities at the Farmer's Market rather than dealing with the time and multitude of challenges involved with gardening. But, I guess there is a certain satisfaction of growing one's own food, and it is hard to get any more local!

    ReplyDelete