Friday, September 9, 2011

Green Heron

Green Heron

Green Heron looking out
Much to my surprise I got up close to a Green Heron yesterday afternoon on a visit to Bassett Creek Park. I often see these herons, but in the past they typically fly away well before I get near.  This heron was quite focused on fishing near a culvert, and didn't seem too bothered by my presence.

I observed the heron for perhaps a half of an hour.  It wondered up and down a partially submerged log, straining to see fish/minnows in the shallow waters below.  It had no luck while I was watching, and finally flew of for presumably better fishing grounds.

Green Heron walking the log
This experience reminded me of how photography is a lot like fishing.  One sometimes looks and looks and looks, often quite diligently, and is sometimes rewarded, other times not.  But whether or not one gets a fish or photo, it can still be a joy to practice the art, and hone ones skills.

PS  Those are white duck feathers in the water that gather near the pond's outlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment