Sunday, June 16, 2013

SNAP: There but for the grace of God go I

A loud Amen to  and editorial in the StarTribune: Hunger: Our leaders need to feel the pain".  I've been wondering for some time when the common understanding of "There but for the grace of God go I" became "Here go I, by my own bootstraps".

What indeed has caused this shift in attitudes toward the working poor, unemployed, elderly and children?  Was it the advent of freeways that allowed us to bypass poor parts of town, inflammatory shock jocks, snarky social media, declining attendance in places of worship, or perhaps the flight to exurbia and increasingly segregated schools?

It might be a worthwhile exercise for us all to live on Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) for an extended period of time and see how we do. We might discover $4.50 a day for our nutritional needs isn't an extravagant public expenditure.

But for the grace of God go I.

No comments:

Post a Comment