- Don't drink your calories. Stay away from sugary drinks!
- Eliminate the white menaces. (flour, white rice and white potatoes).
- Replace refined carbohydrates with whole grains and vegetables.
- Focus on the healthy fats. Stay away from refined fats and enjoy fats in fish, nuts and seeds.
- Get enough protein. Focus on chicken and fish, along with beans, seeds, nuts and tofu.
- Exercise. Get in 30-60 minutes of vigorous exercise at least 5 times a week.
- Relax and connect. Develop your social network and spend time outdoors.
Thursday, June 14, 2012
What health activist can learn from the Old Testament
An article in the June 6, 2012 Time magazine highlighted Saddleback Church in California where the parishioners have literarily lost tons of weight. Their pastor, Rick Warren, has been preaching from the book of Daniel, where the Prophet Daniel encouraged the King to have his staff practice a diet of vegetables instead of the rich court foods. This change in diet paid off, and consequently they all were in better health. The king then changed the diet plan.
This message caught fire at Saddleback and the "DanielPlan" has become widely followed, both by people within the church and the community at large. The following seven simple tips are provided to help people lose weight and get healthy.
There are loads of additional information and tools to develop a healthy lifestyle at the DanielPlan webpage.