Monday, August 26, 2013

Fraudulent "Prosperity Gospel"

A friend sent me a great link to an article, The false promise of the prosperity gospel: why I called out Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer.  Within the article was a link to an additional critique by John Piper, who speaks candidly of why he abominates the prosperity gospel.

I think it is valuable to see the prosperity gospel challenged. Just consider the 12 disciples of Jesus. They weren't exactly "prosperous", as most all of them went penniless and were martyred for their faith. Not exactly financially prosperous by anyone's measure.

It is hard/impossible to reconcile this prosperity gospel with the core messages of the Bible that warn about the dangers of gathering up riches... "Then Jesus said to his disciples, Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me."  Matthew 16:24

No comments:

Post a Comment