|Public concert at Lake Harriet|
How can we reoccupy the public realm? Some simple suggestions include sending money to candidates, voting, etc. However to make a greater impact during this critical moment Mr. Palmer suggests more active engagement in the "politics of the heart."
He encouraged the following five habits of the heart.
- Understanding that we are all in this together. Therefore we "pay it forward" and support our public schools.
- Appreciation of the value of "otherness". Us and them, doesn't equate to us versus them. Religious and wisdom traditions encourage hospitality to the stranger.
- Ability to hold tension in life giving ways. Our differences will generate tension. This is at the center of our democracy.
- Sense of personal voice and agency. We need to create situations where people can be heard into deeper and deeper speech.
- Capacity to create community. Democracy requires engagement of the villages across our nation.